Wednesday, November 14, 2012

You're Nobody 'Till Somebody Loves You

Spring.

Warmer weather, flowers in bloom and love is in the air.

Stephen had George out for a little exercise flight around the house, and George made a bee-line for the big grass basket I have in the loungeroom. Stephen snapped this photo and asked me "What's up?"



I know "what's up". I know quite well. Can you guess?

That basket is, in George's mind, a nest cavity.

George turned 7 years old last Sunday. He's all grown up now (has been for a while, actually) and is in the prime of his life. He'd just love to start a family. Problem is, he's made a species-inappropriate decision regarding his mate. Who has he chosen? ME.

Yeah - I'm just too sexy for my own good.

So these days, when George is out and about, he's hunting for a good nest site. This basket, he's sure, will do. If not that, there's the space under the club chair in my office - or the area under my desk, or under the bed. Anything that has a "roof" and "sides" is worthy of his intense consideration.

How long will this go on, you ask?

-sigh-

Always.

With eclectus parrots, there's no real "down time". Breeding season pretty much happens 11 out of 12 months of the year. Lucky me, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment