Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A mid-winter "Wolfgang" (unusual, to say the least)

During the cooler months, we don't see much of Wolfgang. He (she?) stays pretty much out of sight, hibernating, I guess. But this week, lo and behold - one showed up in the middle of the day. It's been raining quite a lot the last three days or so, and I guess that might be what brought him out. The strange thing, however, is where he was. Normally these critters stay up high on the wall or ceiling. This one, however, clung to the baseboard at the top of the stairs on the second floor (I set my shoe just in front of him so you have a sense of his size):



(Click the photo for a larger image)
Here's a closeup:


He wasn't especially huge, as huntsmen go, but a healthy size all the same. Wolfie just hung out there in that same spot all day long, never moving. I was hoping he'd eventually head on downstairs (very few bugs ever show up on the 2nd floor, so there's not much to eat up there). But he didn't. Normally I just leave the huntsmen alone, but this one, well, I just didn't like where he was hanging out (right outside the master bedroom). It was too easy to imagine him skittering around the floor at night and possibly getting stepped on. Around 9 or 9:30 pm, I'd had enough and ended up evicting him. I took one of Laka's cast off feathers (a long one) and used it to coax him down the stairs and flicked him out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment