Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bassian Thrush

Ever since we came here over 6 years ago, my husband has been keeping a list of each species of bird that we've seen on our property. Last week he added another one: Bassian Thrush
 
(Click the photo above to see a larger image)

The bird suddenly showed up last week and landed on the deck just outside Stephen's office window. Stephen was quick to grab his camera and get this picture.

After looking up this bird online, I've learned that they tend to stay in dense cover, preferring well-shaded gullies. I can only imagine what this one was after - landing on our deck, well away from any shrubs or other cover.

I found a recording of a Bassian's call - and noted that they are most often heard at dawn. I'll be listening now in the mornings and hope to hear one chirping.

No comments:

Post a Comment