Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gus & Company (Kookaburras)

We hear the kookaburras every morning at dawn. They don't always visit us in large numbers, but on the day this video was taken, we had a family of 6 show up. In the video you can hear cockatoos screeching in the background, but also the low growly purr of the kookaburras, with some magpie carolling thrown in for good measure.

Notice how close I am to them!



My neighbor Ian tells me that he's managed to pet one! I don't think I'm brave enough to try that; those beaks could do a lot of damage if the bird wants to bite (and Ian confessed he's been nipped a couple of times).



WASSUP?
  • What I’m listening to: "Choose You" by Stan Walker
  • What’s for tea: Chicken breast strips marinated in Char Sui (chinese BBQ sauce) and cooked on the BBQ; steamed basmati rice, bok choy lightly stir-fried.
  • What I’m reading: "Mary Boleyn: The Great and Infamous Whore" by Alison Weir
  • Wine recommendation: chardonnay - Hardy's (a very nice Aussie wine available in the US)
  • What's the season?: spring in Oz, fall in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment